Mistissini and Chibougamau
- November 28, 2012: Fact Sheet: CNSC Licensing Decision - The Matoush Underground Exploration Project
- October 17, 2012: CNSC Announces Decision to Issue a Licence to Strateco Resources Inc. for the Matoush Underground Exploration Project
- July 27, 2012: Fact Sheet on Polonium-210
- July 12, 2012: Letter to the Mayor of Chibougamau (PDF) in response to her request during the public proceedings held in Chibougamau on June 7, 2012 for clarification on the content of a document written and submitted by Isabelle Gingras, MD entitled “Pourquoi un moratoire sur les mines d’uranium au Québec” [Why a moratorium on uranium mines in Quebec?]
- July 10, 2012: The CNSC invites you to comment on Discussion Paper DIS-12-04, Regulated Timelines: Proposed Amendments to the Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations and the Uranium Mines and Mills Regulations
- June 5-7, 2012: A public Commission hearing to consider Strateco Resources Inc.’s application for a licence to prepare a site and construct for an underground uranium exploration project was held from June 5 to 7, 2012, in the communities of Mistissini and Chibougamau, Quebec.
- May 29, 2012: Fact Sheet in Cree - CNSC Licensing Hearing: The Matoush Underground Exploration Project (PDF)
- May 14, 2012: Fact Sheet - CNSC Licensing Hearing: The Matoush Underground Exploration Project
- May 2, 2012: Revised Notice of Public Hearing for Matoush project (new deadline) (PDF)
- April 11, 2012: Notice of public hearing for Strateco Resources Inc.'s Matoush Project (PDF)
- August 12, 2011: Public Comments Invited on the Matoush Comprehensive Study Report. Read the Matoush Comprehensive Study Report (source: CEAA Web site)
- July 29, 2011: Notice of hearing - Strateco Resources Inc. - Comprehensive Study Report regarding the proposed Underground Uranium Exploration Project (PDF)
Matoush uranium exploration project
On November 4, 2008, Strateco Resources Inc. applied for a CNSC licence for the Matoush Project, located 210 km north of the Cree Nation of Mistissini and 275 km northeast of Chibougamau, in the Otish Mountains region of Quebec.
The Matoush project proposes the creation of an exploration ramp, driving two exploration tunnels in waste rock, drilling of the mineralized zone, and up to three excavations through the mineralized zone. An environmental assessment (EA) of the proposed project was completed in accordance with the provisions of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement.
For more information:
- Environmental Assessment: Matoush uranium exploration project
- Status of Matoush uranium exploration project