The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) conducts health studies and research on a variety of areas associated with the production, possession or use of nuclear substances. The information gathered in these studies serves to guide the CNSC in the regulation of its licensees. Topics include tritium, cancer and leukemia, and the health or environmental effects of uranium mining, nuclear power generation, nuclear processing and conversion.
Part of the CNSC’s mandate is to provide objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public on nuclear-related health and safety issues. The following summaries highlight the main points of the CNSC’s health study reports, including the purpose, scope and conclusions for each.
To assist readers in their understanding of these technical reports, the CNSC has put together a simplified web page on Basic Epidemiology Concepts and a detailed document entitled Setting Radiation Protection Requirements on the Basis of Sound Science: The Role of Epidemiology (INFO-0812), both of which outline study types, explain terminology, and highlight important factors to consider when reading a study. Readers may also consult CNSC’s Nuclear and Radiation Glossary for specific definitions of terms.
- Tritium Studies Fact Sheet
- Standards and Guidelines for Tritium in Drinking Water (INFO-0766)
- Investigation of the Environmental Fate of Tritium in the Atmosphere (INFO-0792)
- Tritium Releases and Dose Consequences in Canada in 2006 (INFO-0793)
- Evaluation of Facilities Handling Tritium (INFO-0796)
- Tritium Activity in Garden Produce from Pembroke in 2007 and Dose to the Public (INFO-0798)
- Health Effects, Dosimetry and Radiological Protection of Tritium (INFO-0799)
- Tritium Studies Project Synthesis Report (INFO-0800)
- Understanding Health Studies and Risk Assessments Conducted in the Port Hope Community from the 1950s to the Present (INFO-0781)
- Updated Analysis of the Eldorado Uranium Miners’ Cohort: Part I of the Saskatchewan Uranium Miners’ Cohort Study (RSP-0205) (Summary)
- Feasibility Study: Saskatchewan Uranium Miners Cohort Study (Part II) (RSP-0178) (Summary)
- Mortality (1950-1999) and cancer incidence (1969-1999) in the cohort of Eldorado uranium workers (R347.2) (Journal article)
- Radon Progeny Exposure and Lung Cancer: A Mortality Study of Newfoundland Fluorspar Miners 1950-2001 (RSP-0193) (Summary)
- Occupational Dose Data for Major Canadian Nuclear Facilities 2001-07 (INFO-0775)
- Verifying Canadian Nuclear Energy Worker Radiation Risk: A Reanalysis of Cancer Mortality in Canadian Nuclear Energy Workers (1957-1994) (INFO-0811)