Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences 2020–2021
As required by the Treasury Board Directive on Travel, Hospitality, Conference and Event Expenditures, this report provides information on travel, hospitality and conference expenditures for the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021, except for information withheld under the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act.
Travel, hospitality and conference expenditures incurred by a federal department or agency relate to activities that support the department or agency’s mandate and the government’s priorities.
The CNSC’s travel, hospitality and conference expenditures support the delivery of the following core programs and services to Canadians:
- regulating the development, production and use of nuclear energy in Canada to protect health, safety and the environment
- regulating the production, possession, use and transport of nuclear substances, and the production, possession and use of prescribed equipment and prescribed information
- implementing measures respecting international control of the development, production, transport and use of nuclear energy and substances, including measures respecting the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons and nuclear explosive devices
- disseminating objective scientific, technical and regulatory information concerning the CNSC’s activities, and about how the development, production, possession, transport and use of nuclear substances affect the environment and the health and safety of persons
For more information on the CNSC’s mandate and core programs and/or services, please consult the CNSC’s Departmental Results Report or Departmental Plan.
Travel, hospitality and conference expenditures
|Expenditure category||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2021
|Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2020
|A. Total travel||$46||$4,375||($4,329)|
|C. Conference fees||$26||$116||($90)|
|International travel by minister and minister’s staff* (included in travel)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
* The CNSC reports to Parliament through the Minister of Natural Resources, whose travel expenses are included in Natural Resources Canada’s Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences.
Significant variances compared with previous fiscal year
Travel: There was an overall decrease due to travel restrictions implemented because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hospitality: No expenditures were incurred because meetings were conducted virtually because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Conference fees: Expenditures decreased compared with fiscal year 2019–20 because travel restrictions implemented due to the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a reduction of conferences and lower fees. All conferences were conducted virtually during the pandemic.
- Date modified: