Nuclear security is a major consideration for all CNSC activities. The CNSC is responsible for enforcing Canada's Nuclear Security Regulations, as enabled by the Nuclear Safety and Control Act. Nuclear security in Canada is aided by federal regulations, which set out detailed security requirements for licensed nuclear facilities. The CNSC’s approach follows international physical protection best practices and standards recommended by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
CNSC staff assess if licensees meet the requirements of the Nuclear Security Regulations and the conditions of their licences through ongoing compliance verification activities. The specific areas of security include: facilities and equipment, security practices, response arrangements, and drills and exercises. The CNSC has worked closely with nuclear facility operators, law enforcement and intelligence agencies, international organizations and other governmental departments to ensure that nuclear materials and facilities are adequately protected.
This category includes research, presentations and technical information about best practices for security and security management at a nuclear power plant.
Technical papers and abstracts
- Technical and Scientific Support Organization Forum – Supporting the Development of Technical and Scientific Capacities in Member States
- CNSC Expectations for the Security of Prescribed Equipment containing Radioactive Sources, with emphasis towards the High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy Units
- CNSC Cyber Security Program Implementation and Inspections at NPPs
- Verifying and Enforcing Compliance with Canada’s Regulatory Requirements: Regulatory Staff Training
- Regulating Fitness for Duty in the Nuclear Industry: A Key Element for Safety and Security
- Research on the Use of New Tracking Technologies for Category 2 and 3 Radioactive Sealed Sources
- Discrimination of uranium ore concentrates by chemometric data analysis to support provenance assessment for nuclear forensics applications
- An Incremental Machine Learning Algorithm for Nuclear Forensics
- Fitness for Duty – Nuclear Security
- Status of Canadian cyber security regulatory framework and implementation at nuclear facilities
- Overview of Cyber Security Regulatory Framework for NPPs
- Regulatory Challenges for Human Factors in Small Modular Reactors
- Performance-based approach to the security of radioactive sealed sources: a Canadian perspective
Videos from third-party source
- Date modified: