Nuclear facility - Darlington New Nuclear Project
The Darlington New Nuclear Project represents the site preparation, construction, operation, decommissioning and abandonment of up to four new nuclear reactors at the existing Darlington site, owned by Ontario Power Generation. The goal of this project would be to generate approximately 4,800 megawatts of electricity to the Ontario grid.
|Location:||Bowmanville, Municipality of Clarington, ON|
|Licensee:||Ontario Power Generation (OPG)|
|Reactor type:||Under selection|
|Owner:||Ontario Power Generation|
|Number of units:||Up to four reactors|
|Installed capacity:||Up to 4800 MWe|
|Status:||Licence to prepare site|
|Licensing documentation:||Request a copy of OPG’s licence and licence conditions handbook by email at email@example.com|
|Facility website:||Darlington New Nuclear Project|
- November 24, 2021: Record of Decision - Ontario Power Generation - Application to Renew the Power Reactor Site Preparation Licence for the Darlington New Nuclear Project
- June 10, 2021: Hear what our expert said at the Commission hearing on the Darlington New Nuclear Project. Video: Environmental assessment decisions have no shelf life
- April 20, 2020: Upcoming webinar on Commission hearing for Darlington New Nuclear Project
- December 2, 2020: Ontario Power Generation (OPG) submits Notice of Intent for Submission of Licence to Construct Application. To view the Notice and for additional information, visit OPG resuming planning activities for Darlington New Nuclear.
- June 29, 2020: Ontario Power Generation (OPG) submits application to renew licence to prepare site (PRSL 18.00 / 2022) for the Darlington New Nuclear Project.
The Commission is an independent administrative tribunal set up at arm’s length from government, without ties to the nuclear industry. Use the links below to find documents related to Commission meetings or hearings.
- March 1, 2021 Revised notice of public hearing on the renewal of Ontario Power Generation Inc.’s nuclear power reactor site preparation licence for the Darlington New Nuclear Project (PDF)
- Joint review panel for Darlington New Nuclear Project
The CNSC posts regulatory enforcement actions taken to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment. Use the links below to find out more about any orders or penalties that have been placed on this licensee, if any.
- No recent regulatory actions
Licensees must report events and incidents involving licensed activities that could impact the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment to the CNSC. Use the links below to find any information provided by this licensee, if any, as well as other public disclosures made by licensees.
- No recent disclosures
Protecting Canadians and the environment
The CNSC uses information provided by licensees to create our own reports assessing the environmental effects of nuclear facilities or licensed activities.
- Ontario Power Generation applies for a licence to prepare site (PDF)
- Darlington New Nuclear Project environmental impact statement (PDF)
- Notice of environmental assessment: Additional information was required to complete the project description. This was completed in 2007 and allowed the environmental assessment to start. Read project description (PDF)
Health and safety
The CNSC oversees licensee emergency planning and works with other levels of government to ensure the health and safety of Canadians. We also conduct and review health studies on various areas associated with the production, possession or use of nuclear substances.
- CNSC health studies on Canadian nuclear facilities: Relevant health studies of CNSC-regulated nuclear reactors
- Date modified: